Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Skatterbranes have landed!!!



Heheheh... It's a Waterbranes set.

And I just managed to install them over the last 2 hours. (I'm getting faster at this! The last time, it took me half a day!) Hahahaha!!!

They went into this one:



Anyways, some quick impressions.

I remember how everyone who's tried the Skatterbranes say that the neck pup is amazing. THIS I now can testify to that.

It's clear, crisp, and transparent. It's really amazing how good the neck pup sounds. I'm very tempted to throw out my J450 and replace it with this.

Because the neck pickup is so clear, the inbetween has this almost strat-like clarity to it. Sweet old recording tones come to mind. Peter Green, Mike Bloomfield etc etc.

The bridge pickup is bright. I'm still trying to get the height settings right to the way I want them, but offhand, They are twangy. A lot of highs and upper mids. Nice tight bass too! It's not as boomy or as fat or as creamy as the Holmes, which I think I like more for this position, but I find it gives my gold top a very nice vintage touch in the tones. Hotel California tones come to mind.

The set is very balanced because of this. Both pickups are very clear. I think I just got to play with the heights enough to reach a nice pleasing tone.

One thing about the Branes is that they are extremely dynamic, and they have great picking response. They excell better than the Holmes when you play clean. With gain, the bridge screams, but the neck is BEAUTIFUL!!!! It's sweet, articulate and transparent. The clarity is really something.

Here's a review of these pickups by someone else: Skatterbrane Review

And a write up of Skatterbranes in Premier Guitar:
Premier Guitar

No comments:

Post a Comment