Thursday, January 7, 2010

Tom Holmes Japan J450 & J455 pickups

Stumbled across these on a recent trip to Tokyo, and I really couldn't resist picking them up to try.




What the "official word" from their homesite says: (translated from Japanese to English using Babelfish, so apologies for the bad English)

J450: The number of turns of the coil to which the magnet uses alnico 2, has wound in one bobbin is 5000 turns. As for this J450, it is the model which reproduces the specification which arrives as the sound which becomes the result and the standard where Tom verifies the many old pickup. Because the frequencies of winding the coil while lining up are fewest, it is suitable for also the use with neck position. We prepare 4conductor which corresponds to 2conductor and the tap etc of the single core, there is impregnation and (there is no potted) or impregnation (unpotted) can select.

J455:The number of turns of the coil to which the magnet uses alnico 2, has wound in one bobbin is 5500 turns. About 500 turns the power impression is emphasized because it has wound mainly in comparison with J450 which becomes standard as the pickup of old type. Because the frequency of winding the coil while lining up is most, it is suitable for also the use with bridge position. We prepare 4conductor which corresponds to 2conductor and the tap etc of the single core, there is impregnation and (there is no potted) or impregnation (unpotted) can select.

Considering these weren't exactly cheap, I was VERY anxious to hear how they sound. I never realised it, but these things (a set of 2) cost as much as a Lollar set!

They had the USA wound versions in stock too, but at $500USD a pop, I really don't want to have to pay for a gamble. Since these are half the price of the USA ones, I thought it might be worth checking out first. If they are indeed that good, then one can only wonder what the USA ones are like.

The shop guy (actually, guys, cos more than one attested to this) that they were the perfect tonal replicas of the USA made ones. I can appreciate how anal the Japanese are, and knowing them, these would definately be no slackers on their own, but perfect replicas?

Right...

THC Japan says: Even in Tom Holmes Japan Pickups which was made in Japan, the answering of research to the pickup of the old type of course by Tom Holmes is stuffed. For example, those which completely are identical with the pickup which main person of Tom produces there is also a part which has been used in order to raise the degree of completion in the part group where it succeeds the individual technique of main person of Tom in regard to plating and reproduces equal quality, in addition uses. By all means please verify the result of production setup time 9600 hours, with the ear of everyone, and with the eye.

I do know that there are Tokai Love Rock guitars on sale at Ikebe in Shibuya that come with these stock fitted, and are quite pricey, but well received. I wrangled my way out of the store so I wouldn't end up buying another LP and lugging it home, so I didn't stop to try those. Wish I did in retrospect though.

So... (fast forward a couple of days)

Having fitted them finally, remembering that it's been more than 10 years since I touched a soldering iron, the handywork turned out ugly and I think I sorta busted an RS Superpot. (the leg that connects the pup is a bit iffy. A bit of pressure in the right direction, and it loses contact. I might have heated it a bit too much.) Sorted it out with a piece of cardboard to push the leg the opposite direction for contact until I get a replacement pot. Maybe the problem will go away once the parts cool down? I dunno...

Anyways, after a couple of hours work on what should have been a 30 minute job, they're finally in.



And they sound GREAT! There's so much more presence and clarity than before! They made my Slash GT fitted with SD SH55s sound like a stock Epiphone! (no offense to Epi owners, but judging from my experience with my Epi custom in the past, the disparity isn't far off).

They're A2s, but the have as much clarity and bite as my Burstbuckers, without the harshness. There's a lot more 3D tone, and the harmonics are more delicate and the overall tone is a lot more volatile sounding.

All in all, these were definately a worthwhile swap. I have no clue what a good vintage PAF sounds like in person, but I do know what a nice guitar and a good pickup sounds like. This 08 02 spec Standard is now a VERY nice sounding guitar...

Licensed or not, Tom Holmes Japan winds GOOD pickups.

The question is, how will these stand up to the Skatterbrane Waterbranes i've got coming next that're going into the Slash???

No comments:

Post a Comment